09.06.1952 at Essen
by JFM AG (60%) and Bank der Deutschen Luftfahrt i.L. (40%)
Developement Office for Aircraft Engine Designs
Design Office for Space Crafts (since 1964)
Dr. Lichte, 1952 - 1958
Dr. Gosslau, 1958 -
(Prof. Saenger), 1964
Essen since 1952
Stuttgart since 1958
Munich since 1960
With the end of WWII and the transfer of most Junkers facilities and employees from East Germany to Russia the complete Junkers developement and production activities came to a stop in 1946. After the foundation of the Federal Republic of Germany several former Junkers managers tried to reestablish the Junkers Flugzeug- und Motorenwerke A.G. in Western Germany. To be prevented from further loss of knowhow, in June 1952 a design office was opened at Essen under the management of Dr. Lichte. This design office was known as Junkers Flugzeug- und Motorenwerke GmbH. It was founded as a subsidary of the Junkers Flugzeug- und Motorenwerke A.G., which was under liquidation since the end of the war. An additional shareholder was the Bank fuer Deutsche Luftfahrt A.G., another wartime consortium, which was under liquidation as well.
In 1953 JFM GmbH started with the developement of a small 16hprs diesel engine design. Several regulator problems were discussed within the small developement team of up to eight engineers, which worked at JFM GmbH of August Lichte in Essen.
In 1957 the German Government as a trustee of the JFM AG sold the remains of the company to the Flugzeug Union Sued of Heinkel and Messerschmitt. As a subsidary of JFM AG the engine design office JFM GmbH in Essen was also sold to the new consortium. Shortly afterwards the office was transfered from Essen to Stuttgart in 1958. In Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen the JFM GmbH took over the Heinkel design projects for the new German fighter aircraft projects. The detailled designs of two engines were completed by the JFM GmbH at Stuttgart, of which one was designated Ju-015. In 1960 the JFM GmbH had 120 employees, but the further developement of an own workshop and production facility for the designed engines was stopped in 1961. Most members of the JFM GmbH design office left Germany and joint Brandner's engine project in Egypt. The engine design at JFM GmbH in fact came to end during 1961.
Already in 1958 parts of the JFM GmbH were transfered to Messerschmitt in Munich. Here it was intended to set up the new airframe design office. When the remains of the engine branch of the JFM GmbH were transfered from Stuttgart to Munich in 1960/61 only little progress was made, even if the JFM GmbH took over responsibility for the Fouga Magister and Starfighter modification programme of Messerschmitt in 1961.
In the early 60s Messerschmitt became interested in joining aerospace technologies. Prof. Saenger was aquired for a spacecraft design work and the complete project was handed over to JFM GmbH. A lot of interesting designs were developed by JFM GmbH, like the RT8 Spaceship. Further projects and designs were the HEOS-A, JAVELIN, and the AZUR satellite which were developed until 1967.
In November 1969 the JFM GmbH was completely integrated into MBB. While the JFM GmbH was already 100% subsidary and was just a departement within MBB since 1968, in November 1969 the JFM GmbH was finally dissolved as the last existing part of the Junkerswerke.